I just completed reading The Namesake by Jhuma Lahiri. A very nicely written book. Relations are portrayed beautifully. But what caught my attention was the concept behind nick names. In North India its common to have Nick names like monu,sonu, guddi, etc. In South India, you may have multiple names, but all the names will be meaningful ones. For e.g., Sita is the name given by elders, in school she will be Gayatri. But in Bengalis, it is a custom to have a bhalo naam and a daak naam. Bhalo naam is the formal name by which one would be known in school or college or office. Daak naam is the pet name ones family keeps. Selecting this pet name in itself is a task. And these names are weird, Bulty, Rumi, Budi and so on. But there lies a deeper meaning to this tradition. These names are meant to make one realize that life is not always serious, life is not just about struggle, life is not just about running for survival. Life at times is just for one self. Life is sweet cute and meaningless at times. Life should be enjoyed. It also shows closeness, friendliness, trust.
Don't we feel good when someone addresses us with a cute name? Don't we feel wanted and safe? I think this daak name tradition should be propagated across. So many cute names would come up. And at times, world may end up knowing one by Daak naam and not Bhalo naam and the world will belong to him. So what's your Daak naam??
When one of the best authors churns out his thoughts where fiction is mixed with history and also has a philosophical angle, we get a book which is an absolute page Turner! Again I will go by the attributes my review would be based on: Language: Impeccable is the word. Story and Pace: It's like a watching a movie where you can't wait for the suspense to unfold. You feel what the characters feel. Emotions, courage, power everything is demonstrated beautifully. There was one point I was questioning the need for exploring Hastinapur angle, but in the end I did get my answer. Pace of the story rarely slows down. One gets to witness various events, starting from India's Independence to the Mumbai attack. Political angle given to characters gives an opportunity to the readers to have a glimpse of India's political change, right from Indira Gandhi's time to Modi's. It is indeed a point to think on how GK(bookish one) can rather be taught in a story fo...
Hilarious.....
ReplyDeleteBeing a bong, you do have my endorsement. However embarrassing the pet names may be, they do play an integral role in our lives. The places where I am know by my daak naam, I live a playful carefree life. When I am called by my Bhalo naam, the experience is different. I highly recommend having multiple names. It makes for a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteBeing a bong, you do have my endorsement. However embarrassing the pet names may be, they do play an integral role in our lives. The places where I am know by my daak naam, I live a playful carefree life. When I am called by my Bhalo naam, the experience is different. I highly recommend having multiple names. It makes for a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteBhalo naam Maharshi and daak name is Raj..
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this i wish i had a daak naam.. :-P I'll try one for the new member may b
ReplyDeleteNicely written Srilekh... I will now look for a daak name for Advik.. btw my daak name is Dolly and Bhalo naam is Neha
ReplyDeleteNicely written Srilekh... I will now look for a daak name for Advik.. btw my daak name is Dolly and Bhalo naam is Neha
ReplyDelete