Skip to main content

Book Review-Indian Curry With German Beer by Dr.G

It gives me immense pleasure to write the Book Review for my friend Dr. Gagan Syal (Dr. G). I have known him for many years – first as my mother’s student, then as my husband’s friend and now as an upcoming author. Kudos to you Dost!!

Coming back to the Book Review

Book Title – Indian Curry with German Beer
Sounds pretty interesting! It’s like the Fusion which we all are trending towards (Vidya Vox singing ‘Shape of you’ with ‘Ae Kabira’).
Look at the title...Catch a glimpse of the ‘confused’ character on the cover page..one would feel an instant connect with the simple character.


Theme/Concept– Travel Guide – cum- Experience Guide – Cum- Humor- Cum- Dr.G’s Advice.
The Book gives you a complete view of what could NOT go right to what’s beautiful about the complete experience! I could totally relate to the language chaos; the mess ups and misunderstandings. Dr.G (as our friend calls himself) sums up his experience right from his Post Graduation Days to his work experience in one of the most beautiful places –Germany.
He has seamlessly clubbed the story part with the small tips and also about must visit places in Germany.

Story – Fast paced! One can read it in a go with a smile on his face. There are pages where I took a pause as couldn’t control my laugh. Be it the family chaos when our Dude decides to travel abroad or his first-time experience in Flight or ‘AADDDDEEE’ (Bye in German) or the ‘Einbahnstrasse’ incident. Won’t give off the story..one must read it!!
I could put myself in the author’s shoes when he faces the language confusion since I’m multi-lingual.

(Have summed up some of my experience in the below blog
http://srilekh-wannabeblogger.blogspot.in/2016/01/challenges-and-fun-of-being-multilingual.html)

He has also shown his love for India and how the Indian community mixed with the German people and their support for Anna Hazare movement. One does feel proud.
(When I had visited Germany, I was surprised and proud to know that Raj Kapoor and Salman Khan was famous. Our bus driver sang ‘Awara Hoon’!!)

Reader’s Comfort – Simple relatable language and fast paced. Description of the roads and seasons is done beautifully and you feel as if you are a part of it. Every episode/anecdote is a message for the reader.

Cherry on the Cake– With loads of laughter and an insight into our friend’s fun-filled life(LOL!), one gets a lot of sensible tips. The last section is devoted to quick history on Germany, what an Indian should expect in Germany and vice-versa. Instead of the Boring Guides, one can refer this book.

Verdict – Enjoy the virtual trip, feel the fun of Oktoberfest and let the beer lover in you get drenched!
Dr.G... Please continue your journey. Would love to have more of your books!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strategic marketing - Lessons from a Bhelpuri wala

Most of the time while getting back home I join a friend of mine who drops me at a metro station. In my second or third visit itself I noticed a bhelpuri wala. This man is not like other local market tapri wala. He was clean and seemed well organized.  He had 4 plastic covers, each containing onion , tomato, coriander and green chillies (all uncut). Highlight were the fresh lemons. He had papers folded like cones. A box with masala and a cover with loads of mixture. Like any office goer returning home, I too was slightly hungry for some munching. What better than bhel. I liked the way he customized my bhel by checking for the quantity of chilly and lemon. I liked it so much that I got one more for my sis. Thus began the love for bhel. One day it so happened that my husband was about to pick me up and I was waiting just next to the same bhel guy. I was an observer that day. In a span of 20 mins this guy served around 8 customers.  Interesting! I began talking to him(shhh...it was me

Book Review- The Sialkot Saga by Ashwin Sanghi

When one of the best authors churns out his thoughts where fiction is mixed with history and also has a philosophical angle, we get a book which is an absolute page Turner! Again I will go by the attributes my review would be based on: Language: Impeccable is the word. Story and Pace: It's like a watching a movie where you can't wait for the suspense to unfold. You feel what the characters feel. Emotions, courage, power everything is demonstrated beautifully. There was one point I was questioning the need for exploring Hastinapur angle, but in the end I did get my answer. Pace of the story rarely slows down. One gets to witness various events, starting from India's Independence to the Mumbai attack. Political angle given to characters gives an opportunity to the readers to have a glimpse of India's political change, right from Indira Gandhi's time to Modi's. It is indeed a point to think on how GK(bookish one) can rather be taught in a story fo

I AM- Proud to be a woman

I have been in existence, Forever and ever. I have seen it all, I'm unstoppable like a river. I know what happiness is, And I know what is misery. I'm not the one to fall, I can unravel life's mystery. I'm the petite girl, You would want to hold. Watch it! Hurt me, You will see my side untold. I can make you smile, And I can cry with you. I'm like the sunshine, And I'm like the dew. I'm the Kali, Oh so fierce. I'm also the calm Sita, Whom you revere. I'm the one about whom, A lot is said and written. Praise me or Criticize me, I am Proud to be a WOMAN!!! Regards, Srilekh