Skip to main content

Book review- Write India Stories

It is never easy to write a book review. But in this case it's more difficult, coz it's not a single author or genre.
It's not just a book- it's a platform that I intend to review about.
I'm talking of Write India Stories! 
The journey began with 'Write India Initiative' announced by TOI, which became a huge platform for budding authors. Let me try to put my review in words ( words are not just enough)

The Concept : 11 mentors were roped in. These being the famous ones in book circle. Each of them had written a passage of a story, which needed to be used by the author as it is.

The Mentors : Interesting group of mentors and more crazy and imaginative were the passages shared. I just can't stop myself from naming the mentors who were/are an integral part of this TOI initiative.
Amish, Chetan Bhagat, Ashwin Sanghi, Ravi Subramanian, Preeti Shenoy, Tuhin A Sinha, Ravinder Singh, Durjoy Dutta, Madhuri Banerjee, Jaishree Misra and Anita Nair. Most of us know the genre these authors write in, but the challenge thrown was not restricted to that genre, which is admirable!

Vinita Nangia and TOI effect: Before actually getting on the book itself, I'm going ahead with some credits. So Vinita Nangia and TOI are the 2 names which come on top! Be it the patience with which the whole activity was conducted or the pace at which all the queries were answered, it's truly appreciable! As Ms.Nangia herself had said that there were more than 25000 entries, one can imagine the effort put by the entire team to keep things in action, right from scrutinizing to editing and finally selecting the winners.

Author Chat : Each month had an author and the Twitter community had an opportunity to chat with an author and get suggestions/opinions and also to get to know them. Yet again thanks to TOI, Ms. Nangia and of course the authors for their patience.

Now comes the actual book review!

Book Cover : A simple mustard colored cover, with a Peepal tree leaf. Interesting way of connecting writing with our roots. There was an age when Peepal leaves were used in India for painting and writing.
It gives the name of the eminent mentors and has TOI logo. Editor being everyone's favorite- Vinita Dawra Nangia.




Content : It has 36 winning entries. Each section starts with the author's comment, his Paragraph followed by the winning entries. At the end of each story, it gives us a brief about the writer. It would be injustice to write about a single author, all the stories are fascinating and keep you glued.

Genre : Congratulations to each and every writer! It's interesting to see the genre change for the same  passage! For example, for Ravi Subramanian's passage, 3 winners had 3 different genres!
One was para-normal, other was a thriller and the third was with Abbas Mastan kind of twist in the tale.
Age group of the new set of authors varies from 14- youngest one to win to 60s!

The Learning : It's not necessary that every book you read has a message for you, but this book is an eye opener! It shows the creativity and writing prowess. It also tells you that writing is not simply putting down words or thoughts, but it involves a huge amount of research, patience, writing-re-writing. It teaches perseverance!
I was there at the Delhi Lit Fest, where Ravindra Singh, Ashwin Sanghi and Ravi Subramanian were on the hot seat and  Vinita Nangia was discussing with them about their experience. ( Yes indeed it is an ' Experience'!).
Some common observations which the authors shared, that it is indeed a daunting task to pull off imagination in short stories. Unlike novels, the number of words is restricted.
Next was the tough part of choosing winners.

As the book Synopsis rightly says ' From psycho- thrillers to murder mysteries, from mythologies to romances and tragedies- Write India Stories has it all!'.

Kudos to the entire Write India family! Proud to be a part of it.

Suggestion to rest of the world- go and grab a copy! It's a must read and must own.
Lastly, waiting for the next season. TOI... This one was for you:)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strategic marketing - Lessons from a Bhelpuri wala

Most of the time while getting back home I join a friend of mine who drops me at a metro station. In my second or third visit itself I noticed a bhelpuri wala. This man is not like other local market tapri wala. He was clean and seemed well organized.  He had 4 plastic covers, each containing onion , tomato, coriander and green chillies (all uncut). Highlight were the fresh lemons. He had papers folded like cones. A box with masala and a cover with loads of mixture. Like any office goer returning home, I too was slightly hungry for some munching. What better than bhel. I liked the way he customized my bhel by checking for the quantity of chilly and lemon. I liked it so much that I got one more for my sis. Thus began the love for bhel. One day it so happened that my husband was about to pick me up and I was waiting just next to the same bhel guy. I was an observer that day. In a span of 20 mins this guy served around 8 customers.  Interesting! I began talking to him(shhh...it was me

Book Review- The Sialkot Saga by Ashwin Sanghi

When one of the best authors churns out his thoughts where fiction is mixed with history and also has a philosophical angle, we get a book which is an absolute page Turner! Again I will go by the attributes my review would be based on: Language: Impeccable is the word. Story and Pace: It's like a watching a movie where you can't wait for the suspense to unfold. You feel what the characters feel. Emotions, courage, power everything is demonstrated beautifully. There was one point I was questioning the need for exploring Hastinapur angle, but in the end I did get my answer. Pace of the story rarely slows down. One gets to witness various events, starting from India's Independence to the Mumbai attack. Political angle given to characters gives an opportunity to the readers to have a glimpse of India's political change, right from Indira Gandhi's time to Modi's. It is indeed a point to think on how GK(bookish one) can rather be taught in a story fo

I AM- Proud to be a woman

I have been in existence, Forever and ever. I have seen it all, I'm unstoppable like a river. I know what happiness is, And I know what is misery. I'm not the one to fall, I can unravel life's mystery. I'm the petite girl, You would want to hold. Watch it! Hurt me, You will see my side untold. I can make you smile, And I can cry with you. I'm like the sunshine, And I'm like the dew. I'm the Kali, Oh so fierce. I'm also the calm Sita, Whom you revere. I'm the one about whom, A lot is said and written. Praise me or Criticize me, I am Proud to be a WOMAN!!! Regards, Srilekh