Skip to main content

The Story of Mr.M

The Story of Mr.M


Once there was a Mr.M who had a happy simple family. Who managed to live ,smile, talk to his wife and neighhbours, play with his kids.


One day, he starting brooding on some questions like -'What does he need from life?', ' Is he content and happy?'.
For the second question -NO. Mr.M was happy, coz a NO meant he wanted more.
He went back to the first question. Did a lot of study and observation and came up with a Pyramid describing the needs.


-- Base had Physiological needs - Which he had


--Next layer was Safety - He had the basic level, but needed more money to satisfy this layer


--Further up was Love and Belonging - His family loved him, but he wanted to take them out on vacation. What about neighbors?
Oh they had a better car --- Mr. M was more discontent now. -- Answer to this layer --- More Money!!


--Esteem being the next --He was respected for his nature, but he wanted to be known for his achievements. Mr.M felt an anxiety building up.


--Final layer was the 'Self-Actualization'--- Mr.M was now sad, how could he reach the Nirvana state without crossing the last four stages!!


So next day, he planned his activities with a single aim of achieving more in terms work as well as money. Bid a quick interim farewell to his family and went in search of Gold!!


After a few years, Mr.M again looked at his Pyramid to gauge his position now and accordingly decided to resize the pyramid if he had still something to achieve/compensate for


Layer 1 ---- Oh that was so basic. He had it all. Size remained the same!
Layer 2 ---- Yes the family was safe. Oh yes, he decided to set up CCTVs for more safety. He had to secure his property. Slight increase in size.




 Layer 3— He spoke to his family everyday and they did love him. Neighbours admired his new bungalow and his Biiiig Car. His kids..well yes they did love him, but when was the last time he spoke to them or played with them? Mr.M now frowned and decided to compensate soon. Size of this layer increased a bit.

 He had friends. Best friends-No, but yes friends. But they did not care for him when he was a Mr. Nobody. He remembered a few good friends, but he had stopped calling them up. Yet again he decided that he had to compensate for it. Size of this layer now increased further

Layer 4 --He was full of self-esteem and (pride??or was it false pride). He had achieved a lot and was indeed respected. He strike the word  respected and replaced it with feared. Yet again he decided to work on improving on this front. He made sure that the size of the layer increased.

Finally layer 5 --He was almost there. He had achieved. Yes!! but almost there. He needed to push himself a bit more. He was greedy for a 'Bit' more. He decided, once he gets that bit, he will be back with his family and friend.


A final look at the Pyramid and it looked bigger than the original one. Mr.M had a frown on his face.
He immediately transferred a lot of money to his family and slightly reduced the size of Layer3. His family could go out on a vacation!!



He went to bed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In his dreams, he was walking on a mountain with his family. He was walking faster and did not look back. He was aiming high and had to reach the peak. When he reached ‘almost’ the peak, he turned around to smile at his people. But they were far far away and looked like tiny specs!! He suddenly felt jittery and tipped and fell deep down into the abyss of nothingness!


Mr.M woke up with a jerk. He saw the two pyramids staring at him and suddenly realized what he had to do!!
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find yourself somewhere in the story? I bet you did. This Mr.M is us. Let's redraw our Pyramids and rethink on taking everyone with us to the peak. Walking alone is no fun!!!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strategic marketing - Lessons from a Bhelpuri wala

Most of the time while getting back home I join a friend of mine who drops me at a metro station. In my second or third visit itself I noticed a bhelpuri wala. This man is not like other local market tapri wala. He was clean and seemed well organized.  He had 4 plastic covers, each containing onion , tomato, coriander and green chillies (all uncut). Highlight were the fresh lemons. He had papers folded like cones. A box with masala and a cover with loads of mixture. Like any office goer returning home, I too was slightly hungry for some munching. What better than bhel. I liked the way he customized my bhel by checking for the quantity of chilly and lemon. I liked it so much that I got one more for my sis. Thus began the love for bhel. One day it so happened that my husband was about to pick me up and I was waiting just next to the same bhel guy. I was an observer that day. In a span of 20 mins this guy served around 8 customers.  Interesting! I began talking to him(shhh...it was me

Book Review- The Sialkot Saga by Ashwin Sanghi

When one of the best authors churns out his thoughts where fiction is mixed with history and also has a philosophical angle, we get a book which is an absolute page Turner! Again I will go by the attributes my review would be based on: Language: Impeccable is the word. Story and Pace: It's like a watching a movie where you can't wait for the suspense to unfold. You feel what the characters feel. Emotions, courage, power everything is demonstrated beautifully. There was one point I was questioning the need for exploring Hastinapur angle, but in the end I did get my answer. Pace of the story rarely slows down. One gets to witness various events, starting from India's Independence to the Mumbai attack. Political angle given to characters gives an opportunity to the readers to have a glimpse of India's political change, right from Indira Gandhi's time to Modi's. It is indeed a point to think on how GK(bookish one) can rather be taught in a story fo

I AM- Proud to be a woman

I have been in existence, Forever and ever. I have seen it all, I'm unstoppable like a river. I know what happiness is, And I know what is misery. I'm not the one to fall, I can unravel life's mystery. I'm the petite girl, You would want to hold. Watch it! Hurt me, You will see my side untold. I can make you smile, And I can cry with you. I'm like the sunshine, And I'm like the dew. I'm the Kali, Oh so fierce. I'm also the calm Sita, Whom you revere. I'm the one about whom, A lot is said and written. Praise me or Criticize me, I am Proud to be a WOMAN!!! Regards, Srilekh