Skip to main content

Rx- Treatment prescribed by grandmother

Doctors have become such an important part of our lives, that we are controlled by the them and medicines. How many of us can claim that we have not been to a doctor for the past 6months? Not many can say so. If you are one of them, then you do have grand parents at home.

I remember some cases from my family, where my grandma had the solutions. But noone heeded, coz she was not a certified practitioner!
Once a cousin of mine had eye problem and she was planning to visit the doc. My granny suggested her simple exercises which can be done as part of daily routine. She asked my cousin to clean dal or rice using a sieve and to draw Rangoli which would require bending. But my cousin ignored and went to the doc. In the evening what do we see, she had picked up some small pebbles and marbles and had thrown them on the ground and was picking them one by one!! This was the exercise which the doc suggested. How different was it from what granny said? More over she had paid Rs.800 to get this advice when she was getting a better one for free...

Next incident was with one more cousin of mine who was pregnant and had frequent back ache. Again my grandma had some relevant advice. She asked her to mop the floor and use the Indian toilet. But again, why would anyone believe granny? Off she went for her doc visit. What was the advice? She was asked to squat on the floor atleast 4-5 times a day. What say?? Was granny's advice wrong?

Once my brother was complaining about his teeth. He wanted to get them back in shape.Granny darling again had her solution ready. She asked to practice brushing with fingers,the way their generation did. But any advice free of cost is not valued. Imagine the doc's advice. He asked my bro to put on a cover kind of thing on his teeth, which will keep the teeth growth in control.

Best of the lot was when she used make a powder using Salt, clove, charcoal and neem leaves and used it for brushing. Back then we used to make fun of her. But isn't it the same which the tooth paste companies are now promoting.

She had simple home remedies for everything. For cracked heels, candle wax was the best. She considered coconut oil best for hair and skin. She lived till an age of 82, with good skin, long and semi black hair and healthy gums( teeth had to be replaced with dentures).

The world actually needs such people. Instead of learning from them, we have become so educated and technologically advanced that we either go to a doctor at the most expensive hospital or search for home remedies ONLINE!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strategic marketing - Lessons from a Bhelpuri wala

Most of the time while getting back home I join a friend of mine who drops me at a metro station. In my second or third visit itself I noticed a bhelpuri wala. This man is not like other local market tapri wala. He was clean and seemed well organized.  He had 4 plastic covers, each containing onion , tomato, coriander and green chillies (all uncut). Highlight were the fresh lemons. He had papers folded like cones. A box with masala and a cover with loads of mixture. Like any office goer returning home, I too was slightly hungry for some munching. What better than bhel. I liked the way he customized my bhel by checking for the quantity of chilly and lemon. I liked it so much that I got one more for my sis. Thus began the love for bhel. One day it so happened that my husband was about to pick me up and I was waiting just next to the same bhel guy. I was an observer that day. In a span of 20 mins this guy served around 8 customers.  Interesting! I began talking to him(shhh...it was me

Book Review- The Sialkot Saga by Ashwin Sanghi

When one of the best authors churns out his thoughts where fiction is mixed with history and also has a philosophical angle, we get a book which is an absolute page Turner! Again I will go by the attributes my review would be based on: Language: Impeccable is the word. Story and Pace: It's like a watching a movie where you can't wait for the suspense to unfold. You feel what the characters feel. Emotions, courage, power everything is demonstrated beautifully. There was one point I was questioning the need for exploring Hastinapur angle, but in the end I did get my answer. Pace of the story rarely slows down. One gets to witness various events, starting from India's Independence to the Mumbai attack. Political angle given to characters gives an opportunity to the readers to have a glimpse of India's political change, right from Indira Gandhi's time to Modi's. It is indeed a point to think on how GK(bookish one) can rather be taught in a story fo

I AM- Proud to be a woman

I have been in existence, Forever and ever. I have seen it all, I'm unstoppable like a river. I know what happiness is, And I know what is misery. I'm not the one to fall, I can unravel life's mystery. I'm the petite girl, You would want to hold. Watch it! Hurt me, You will see my side untold. I can make you smile, And I can cry with you. I'm like the sunshine, And I'm like the dew. I'm the Kali, Oh so fierce. I'm also the calm Sita, Whom you revere. I'm the one about whom, A lot is said and written. Praise me or Criticize me, I am Proud to be a WOMAN!!! Regards, Srilekh